Thursday, July 23, 2015

It's named. It's live. I've got nothing to say.

That isn't totally true. I had enough happening at the beginning of the week (funeral, family shenanigans, a full size van crossing over the median at full speed and heading for my lane - Mortality was probably going to be a heavy theme for a bit.) that I had mentally outlined a few posts to get me started. And then I choked. It was late when all the blog setup was said and done. It's not the blog's fault that I have a complete disregard for an appropriate bedtime. Today I feel like I've got too many tabs open in my mind and the browser has frozen. But, I sat down with the determination to get something out. 

And then? Then I was killing a few minutes while prepping for dinner so I checked Instagram. I'm not a complete social media addict (an explanation, not a downplay) so I skim through maybe twice a week to see what cool thing the adolescents in my life have shared. It's a big build up to simply say, one of my young relatives was officially outted by his or her (previously unknown) same-sex significant other. To me, this rocks my world because this person has their first significant other and I want to do all kinds of cheesy and completely embarrassing fawning all over them for being young and in love. This does not, and should not (IMHO) rock my world for any other reason. The fact that they are the same gender is as newsworthy as the fact that I'm sweet on my husband. 

But, society being what it is in certain circles and the statistics for depression, suicide and violence/assault for lgbtq youth being what they are, I reached out to my young'un. I wanted him or her to know that in case my obnoxiously vocal (my exact words) stance on equality around them wasn't enough, that simply put, I love them. That nothing changed between us and they should never be afraid of being judged by me. And as every adolescent needs to know (even if they don't know it), I wanted them to know that they are accepted. Also, I wanted them to know that I knew. I didn't want anymore tiptoeing or veiled references to how close they are with the person who is actually their partner. Hindsight has pinpoint accuracy I find. I had suspected in recent months, but I remember only too well the horror of your family teasing and mocking you for the person you like, no matter the gender. So I waited until it was big and bold in social media (By the way kids, if you're waiting to tell people selectively, you may want to remember who you've put into your private circle on your social media. In this instance though, I'm pretty sure it was their way of letting a few of us know without having to have an awkward conversation. This kid is a smart, but socially uncomfortable cookie. But I know other kids & adults have been unintentionally outed by forgetting who can see their posts. Oopsies don't discriminate either - too many plenty of 'straight' folks reveal personal details online everyday.).  The text talk went well. I think there was some relief that it is officially open between us and things are exactly the same as I've promised in past conversations about growing up, needing help, etc. I'm sure there was the proper amount of teenage horror at an adult discussing dating period. And then we devolved into a goofy meme exchange, as usual.


Aside from letting the kiddo know that it was up to them who else would be told and when (as it should be for anyone's love life), that's all there was to it. If I was in a closer proximity to them at the time, I'd have probably baked brownies and made him or her laugh until milk shot out of their nose. For privacy sake, I completely mangled grammar and didn't use the gender or name of the kiddo involved. If that's not obvious, there's nothing for you here. 


2 comments:

  1. I see several references to cookies here. Now I'm hungry. Also today is Aunties Day! So happy Aunties Day to you. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...