Friday, October 30, 2015

Happy Halloween

As I've mentioned before, I love me some fall goodness. Halloween is upon us and I think the best way to greet it is to share my favorite memory.

As I outgrew trick-or-treating (something not everyone does I realize), I took solace in my other favorite Halloween activity of passing out candy and seeing all the teeny tiny kids proudly show their costumes. My first few years of marriage were spent in an apartment, so we had very few candy beggers visitors those years which bummed me out.

I was excited to spend Halloween in our first rental house in a big neighborhood worth plenty of kids. One year, it had been about 45 minutes since the last group of older kids (the harbingers of empty candy bowls) came by so I was considering turning off the light and calling it a night. There was a soft knock at the door. A little guy in a superhero costume, no more than 6 or 7, stood with his exhausted mother. She was super apologetic from the moment I opened the door. She was a waitress and had gotten off shift late and promised to take her son out. I smiled, reminded her that my light was still on so there was no problem and dumped the remainder of my candy bowl (probably 3/4 full with the dregs of various candy bags dumped in)  into his almost empty bag.

His eyes went wide. Her eyes teared up and her voice caught. I told her to be sure and stop by again next year.

That is my all time favorite Halloween memory. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...