Monday, July 25, 2016

The aging journey

I bought my first pair of reading glasses today.

As an intensely myopic glasses-wearer since before the age of 10, I hadn't really expected to ever make use of them. I was thrilled when I was able to get contacts as a teenager, the answer to so many glasses-wearer problems. You know, and vanity. If you have ever worn glasses and are of a certain age, you may be familiar with the thick, oddly-hued plastic frames common for what felt like decades. I took a flying leap at the chance to swap out for wire frames and then contacts from the word go.

I am so nearsighted that new eye doctors over the years do a doubletake when they check my prescription. I'm also so nearsighted that they have to check and see if contacts even come in my prescription because they aren't used to ordering them at that strength. I get the occasional hint that I'm on the edge of what contacts can do and may have to switch to hard lenses or opt out of contacts all together.

My husband thinks I'm a mole person. He's farsighted and has a completely different perspective in terms of vision. Farsighted. I guess that's the universe's way of balancing out my own eyesight. Should we ever magically be able to have children, I expect them to be practically blind or to have normal eyes. There can be no in between. Because, well, it sounds funny.

I love having contacts. I take them for granted until I can't wear them. First world problem, to be sure.

I've noticed as I've aged, my near vision isn't as clear with my contacts as my glasses. Everything else, from finding sunglasses (transitioning lenses don't provide nearly enough protection for my light sensitive mole eyes), showering, leaving air conditioning in the summer, watching something while laying down is easier with my contacts. This one thing has become pesky.

The eye doctors' suggested fix is to prescribe bifocal contacts. One eye would be for near vision, the other eye would be for far. Um, what? I've never taken to the idea and to be honest none of my eye doctors seem real thrilled when they explain it.

After my last major switch from exclusively wearing glasses for almost a year because of an eye injury back to contacts, the near vision had become a blurry, squinty issue. And while I can change the font size on say my computer or phone, printed material like books or package directions are what they are.

So here I sit trying out reading glasses for the first time. They make a difference, but we'll have to see how things are when they're used for different lengths of time. And I have to remember not to look up before I take them off. 'Cause, whoa! It's trippy. And nausea inducing.

I read last night that around the age of 40 is when there can be a change in vision requiring the use of reading glasses. I guess I just like to be a little ahead of the the curve here.
Or maybe OITNB has a subliminal sponsorship with a reading glasses company. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...