Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Playing catch up



So we meet again. Along with the dreaded blank screen.

I cannot count the number of blog posts I mentally composed in the last few days. And forgot.
August arrived hard and fast, an unyielding month of heat, humidity and family events. The first third of the month a blur of my mom's birthday and visiting niblings. So much drama. So much martyrdom - and that was just my mom talking to my siblings on her birthday!

I've accomplished absolutely nothing short of paying the first wave of this month's bills, entertaining children & teaching them to play Pokemon Go, and trying to help Mom navigate her birthday excitement and then the post birthday let-down as the world goes back to not revolving around her. Even if it kind of always does. (This is me dealing with my post-Mom's-birthday resentment at wanting more than we could possibly deliver.)

So I let go of the annoyance of blog posts (really nifty & inspired) long forgotten. Or I try to, anyway. I take a little solace in the fact that I did finish reading 1 book in two or three days - the latest Harry Potter script. While not necessarily winning the hearts of many diehard Potter fanatics, I felt like it was a fairly honest followup to what happens to a a character's life and family in the aftermath of such an amazing and scarred childhood. I know a lot of people haven't cared for it, and it wasn't something I'd likely re-read BUT I got it. I could see how all parties got to where they did.
In the spirit of cleaning out my brain of stray thoughts, despite my earlier post about not joining in with Camp NaNo this July, I ended up registering for it anyway. I wanted to give it a fair shake by joining a cabin of other writers who I didn't know in real life to see if there was anything I had missed out on my first time out with it last year.

There was not.

At least not with my group of last minute Nano'ers. It's a cute idea, but with no clear leader or unified goal, it just doesn't drive me in the same way November's writing event does. And that's okay. If it works for other people then that's great. Freeform is what I do regularly anyway, so I respond better to the writing kick in the pants that involves peer pressure.
I don't want to do things

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...