Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Checkmark

When our new dog arrived home after what felt like forever (more like a 2 month wait), my life as I knew it kind of went on hiatus.

A running, pooping, peeing, chewing machine cute enough to inspire spasms of cuddles was on the loose. And yes, training, but it takes time.
The exhaustion between the new dog and my mom neared critical tipping points. Non-essential brain functions turned off. Several essential ones turned off as well. Creativity is kind of vital to my brain and that was firmly walled off.

And then after about a month, it busted open and demanded attention. Sporadically. But still. A scene, separate of anything I had been working on, came to mind. A writing exercise of sorts. Short, (hopefully) quick.

Two  months later, (like I said, sporadically) I finished it. The rough, rough draft. Which I have less than zero interest in revisiting, let alone revising. But I finished it. A small victory, progress, completion, in the face of domestic (small-scale) chaos. A completed project in the history of mostly unfinished writing projects.

I'm not shooting off fireworks about this. I'm not making myself a cake. But I will take a few moments to appreciate the act of finishing this little piece. And then build on it. Get back to something a little longer and then finish that. And then get back to one of my long-running novel projects and hopefully finish a draft of that.

While on hiatus, during those random moments when exhaustion would claim the fuzzy creature, I made my way through the original 2 seasons of Twin Peaks.

I've heard about this show for what seems like forever. It was a little out of my league when it came out, owing to the fact that I was still in elementary school when it first aired. In light of the the show being brought back for a limited run, I was able to finally catch up and see what all the fuss was about.

Whatever else I would have said about this show now takes a backseat to what was my greatest find:

Pre-X-files David Duchovny.

I've got the last episode of the second season to watch and then I make my way to the current stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...