Friday, June 16, 2017

Starts and Stops

A few years back, I began work on where I wanted to be (a mindset as opposed to a place). Positive thinking. Not being sucked into negativity and other people's quagmires of drama. And I did a decent job for a while.

So is it an explanation or an excuse to be able to chalk up where I fell off the wagon? Because I did fall off and struggle to catch back up. With all the grace of an albatross skateboarding with sparklers.

I start. I stop. I grow more frustrated. I carve out a bit of peace. I start again. Huge muddy pothole in the road. I stumble. In spectacular fashion. Wash, rinse, repeat.

It's life, simply put. It has that way of happening to you. Curve balls, change ups when you get used to those fast balls or low pitches. Sports. Holy hellfire, I went with a sports analogy.

Bah. This all devolves into motivational sayings ("Fall 99 times, rise 100", "Rest, don't quit", "Don't eat the yellow snow", etc ad nauseam) and yet they ring true. 

Despite frustrations, upheavals and the like, there's still reason to get up in the morning - even if it's because you've been jarred awake by the sound of a dog hurling up his toenails after chomping down a large bug. There's still a reason to keep moving forward and recommit to the direction you want to go. 

I scrapped 2 other blog post starts tonight and at least two more in the last two weeks. Stars and stops. Get something done to get back on the horse. Finishing something - a quick and dirty (alas, not that kind of dirty) blog post, a short story, a sketch, whatever - is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...