Sunday, July 17, 2016

Ghostbusters 2016

There may be very little in the way of actual spoilers here. I'm no critic. I don't know how to write a review. I do thoroughly enjoy picking apart every detail about a movie I've watched. What I thought worked. Where the gaping plot holes were. Various instances of 'what were they thinking'. What should have been different. *cough* Okay, so I can be critical.

This movie opens with a cute setup for our intro to ghosts in this new Ghostbusters universe. Scientific women, slapstick and slime follows. Excessive slime for some. (Unless you're well versed with the slime river from Ghostbusters 2.) And yes, Thor in glasses. This time around the Janine-esque character gets a slightly bigger part to play. All in good time. It's worth the wait. Especially during the credits.
I'll admit, I had a hard time with expectations and comparisons to the earlier movies I love so much. About halfway through I couldn't take the bipolar excitement/enjoyment to cranky that's-not-the-way-it-should-be's and back again anymore. I had a quick, internal snap out of it moment. This is a separate movie, doing it's own thing with plenty of hat tippage to the previous incarnations. It's a fun ride if you allow it. And our theater with movie goers ranging from kid to senior citizen applauded when it was over. So if comedy and paranormal are up your alley, give it a fair chance.
When I saw the most recent Star Wars movie, I had a moment where tears came to my eyes. It wasn't a death scene. It wasn't a scene where characters are reunited. It was when a girl used the force. I had no idea seeing that image for the first time would fill my chest with emotion. I wasn't sure what to expect with another return to a franchise from my childhood. Oddly enough, these two franchises were my first two theater experiences, so it's kind of appropriate for me that these updates and returns happened in the order and proximity they did.

I didn't have a single tear well up this time. I did have some moments of silent 'girl power' pride (also some snorty-nerd girl giggles that are less than flattering to reveal). An all female ghostbusting team? Why the fuck not? I'm not shocked people in 2016 have a problem with a female cast for this movie. I'm a woman who grew up with a dawning awareness that there are both men and women who have a real problem with women. And to those hiding behind the banner of what would the original team think, I offer the following:

  • With the exception of Rick Moranis (who essentially dropped out of Hollywood to raise his children) the gang is all there. Cameo, upon cameo, upon well placed cameo. The late, beloved Harold Ramis was even represented if you pay close attention. His son has a small part as well.
  • Check the production credits. If no names ring any bells, zip your lips.
  • Passing the Ghostbuster's Torch (Ramis's daughter tackles the subject)

Any experienced Marvel moviegoer knows to stay until the credits are done for extra scenes. Plan on staying at the end for some visual goodies. Our final cameo comes just before the credits roll, one I was hoping for the whole time. Instead of the boring traditional plain end credits, you get a little unexpected entertainment as you wait for the scene to set up a potential next movie.

All in all? I'd go see it in the theater again. It does exactly what I think a movie like this sets out to do. There is humor. There are moments of decent suspense (as this is not a straight up horror flick, that's fair). Cast chemistry is solid. The cameos made me happy. All the little nods did. It kept me engaged. It's fun, slime-filled escapism.

You know, if you like that kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...