Saturday, December 17, 2016

Gifting

Disclaimer: This is post, very obviously, is a first world problem kind of thing. With that in mind, we proceed.

I love finding the right gift for people. I'd love it a whole lot more if I had several million in disposable income, but you get the idea.
Can I get an Amen?
But I love gift giving. The agonizing over options is my own personal over-analyzing sweet spot.

What I suck at, very much something that's developed over the last few years, is giving people ideas for me. My lists used to be littered with books and.. well, mostly books. A few odds and ends here and there, but usually books rounded out the bulk of it. And despite my main gift givers being hardcore readers, they resisted.
My increasing age has added to my sense of being pragmatic. I'm at the age where unless it's from a tried and true favorite author of mine, I'll test drive it from the library first (whenever possible). My office, bedroom and bookshelves have stacks of books I touched long enough to bring home from the store. I struggle to find time and focus to read library books as it is and at least they have a time limit involved to push things along.

Beyond books, I'm practical about jewelry. Sure, I like sparkly things but I have a reaction to silver and anything with nickel. That price tag just went through the roof on anything I'd be interested in. And frankly, I wear the same earrings and same necklace every day anyway - simple, practical pieces. I'm always in a rush and if I don't just leave it all on from one day to the next, I'd never remember to even wear my wedding band.
Note to self - check for pants and shoes before leaving house.
As for all the rest?
I want a genealogy and organizational fairy godmother. *Poof* Family pictures and documents scanned, organized and preserved in a neat space with back up stored off site. *Poof* Here's the missing records you've needed to tracing down another 5 generations. *Poof* Family history stories recorded for posterity. *Poof* *Poof* *Nose twitch* 1890 Census restored. (American genealogy joke & desperate wish - most of it was destroyed in a fire).

I also want a $300 USB typewriter-style keyboard. But I don't understand when Christmas gifts had to be hundreds of dollars a piece and stocking stuffers are the price I like to average on regular gifts. Those of you buying $25-$50 & up stocking stuffers are throwing the whole thing out of whack. So I don't ask for a $300 USB typewriter-style keyboard because that's more than I'd budget for my own entire Christmas gift experience, gifts under the tree and stocking.

So aside from an expansion pack to my favorite (filthy) card game and a gift subscription to something genealogy based, I'm good this year. I don't have kiddos to watch and enjoy the holiday experience. (Another something I'd like but isn't an option.) I have older folks who will open slippers and undershirts and the like. I have a husband who reads this blog, so my lips are sealed on any further comment there.

Am I upset about the state of my potential personal gift receiving experience? Nope. My husband's not pleased but I'm good.
The hubby will roll his eyes at this. Guaranteed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...