Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Watchlist

About twice a month I score a free digital movie rental courtesy a rewards program from my wireless carrier.
My husband and I are movie people. Not in the sense that we have good taste, a critic's eye or have seen the best of the best. Nope, strictly in the sense that we just like to watch movies. Good ones, horrible ones, slapstick, drama, action, kids', sci-fi- anything that sparks our interest. And while we don't always agree on the same movies or even genres (I love a good scary movie or a compelling documentary while he will watch anything with "American Pie presents" in the title or military history tear jerkers.) there are usually a few titles we agree to cough up the cash each year to go see in the theater. Damn you, Marvel Cinematic Universe. Or thank you, if I'm being honest. 
All the rest that don't quite make the theater investment but still interest us we either wait to get from the library or until they show up on television. Occasionally we'll luck out and a few are available to stream on Netflix, but you get the idea. By the time they are available to watch, we've forgotten what we were waiting for and new releases have gained our attention. 

So this whole free movie rental reward is right up our alley. We're catching up on the movies we missed and as is to be expected, not all are winners. And then we've caught up and we still have rentals to redeem. 

The watchlist conundrum. 

I have movies on my watchlist I wanted to see, but they vary greatly. I start getting choosy. Picky. Do I want to watch the adaptation of a childhood favorite book or would I be more inclined to sit through two hours of watching Tarzan's abs? Cute independent movie staring the beloved Sally Field or a JJ Abram's thriller? Meryl Streep or a documentary of an author who wrote under an assumed name and used a relative to assume that identity? 

The struggle is...ridiculous. But there it is. This is, I should note, less stressful than deciding between books on my infinitely long TBR list. 

What would you watch if you made it through your top choices available and had a freebie to spare? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...