Thursday, June 30, 2016

Good luck campers!

Tomorrow kicks off the 2nd (and final) Camp NaNoWriMo for the year.
I'm not participating. Again.

I tried the virtual writing camp once, coming off my first full on NaNoWriMo experience. Maybe it was because I was in a 'cabin' with all local writers and not being placed with others writing similar genres. Maybe it was because your goal is made up by you (and I have a complete disregard for myself). Maybe it was because my clinical bitchy resting face is spreading to my brain. The event just didn't do it for me quite like the madcap November escapade did.

I can tell myself to write 500 words a day and fail spectacularly on any day of the year, thank you very much. No need to join a website to do it. Or get asked for donations at every turn.

That was... bitchy. And unnecessarily so.
The truth is, this current writing backlash is my own personal demon. Just because this particular incarnation of a writing activity didn't send me to the heights of creative glory before, doesn't even mean it wouldn't work for me now. The shiny inner child inside thinks it's a fantastic idea and I should totally join in. Oh inner child, your enthusiasm knows no bounds. My inner teenager seems to be more vocal.
I love the idea of writing activities throughout the year. If you've read my blow-by-blow of NaNoWriMo, you'll be aware I complain (at great length) about the timing of it. But it is a relief sad when it's over. Maybe I should give camp another run in the future. I probably have sold the experience short or focused on what I felt I wasn't getting out of it instead of rising to meet a writing goal.

There is no perfect place/time/situation to write (or anything else for that matter). So kudos (a word I don't think I've ever used verbally) to those who are choosing to make the extra effort this July to work on their writing projects. Keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...