Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Olympic Choice

I had a different post all put together and even posted it briefly. About 30 minutes after I did, I wanted to take it down. Revamp it. So I did. After spending hours, yes hours, on getting it close enough just right, I've decided to go in a different direction.
I may revisit that diatribe in the future. But the tone as it stands bothered me. Because I'm trying to rework my brain back to being more positive. The nice thing about this blog is it gives me an instant forum to work through thoughts or events as I experience them. The unfortunate thing about this blog is exactly the same thing. Not everything I want to vent about needs to see the light of day. Some things can be addressed in a different approach once the initial flood of what.I.feel.in.this.moment passes.
So while I wrote and it felt damn good to express myself, where do I go next to try to keep my blog updated on a (fairly) regular basis? First thing that came to mind was the Olympics.

When I was a kid, I loved, loved, loved watching the Olympics. Swimming most especially, followed by figure skating, gymnastics and diving. I entertained dreams of being an Olympic swimmer for a few brief, naive years. Some of which I maybe didn't even know how to swim yet. What can I say, imagination was always my strong suit.
I vividly remember staying up late into the night in the summer to watch all kinds of competition during my last pre-teen summer games. This was back when the winter and summer games weren't staggered two years apart like they are now. My interest in the games waned during the awkward teenage thru mid-twenties decade.
For the first time probably ever, I've been watching the US Olympic trials this week. It's something my father-in-law and I do together. My husband's family have been fans of collegiate/"amateur" sports. My dad watches pro, American football and that's about it. While I can't sit through the college world series... or whatever it's called, my father-in-law is tickled to come into the living room and I already have the Olympic coverage ready to go for us.

I can't imagine the pressure these athletes face. I also can't imagine what it's like to have literally millions of people cheering you on. It is the kind of heroic inspiration that I direct into my characters as they face their own situations. It is the kind of unity I wish the world population could get behind on a more regular basis to be more human to each other. Millions of people collectively screaming at the judges of gymnastics for an undeserved deduction. Millions of people holding their breath as the diver breaks through the surface of the water awaiting splash or no splash. Millions of people overwhelmed with pride, tears leaking from the corner of eyes as someone overcomes adversity/injury/being dead last to excel and stick the landing, cross the line first, make history.
I'm a little sad that the coming games are being overshadowed by a virus and the potential of facilities not being ready. It's not right that people with Olympic dreams and talent have had to make the choice to skip these games because of that virus. It's not fair for people to make the team, take the risk and not even have a prepared, even playing field ready to go. Such is life. I'm sure the athletes involved, the ones who truly deserve their place, will make the best of it.

Enjoy! Cheer! Marvel at 12 pack abs & buns of steel! Embrace good sportsmanship! Wear clean underwear! You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...