Monday, June 6, 2016

Two kinds of people in the world


Truth be told, I tend to think in all kinds of shades of ... well.. midway between black and white. (Go ahead, snicker anyway, I'll wait.) But you've heard the "two kinds of people" thing applied to all sorts of labels. People who use one alarm or fifteen. People who do something or people who are wrong. People who like X or people who like Y. People who either know what I'm talking about or don't. 

For today's post, do you think we get messages from angels/a benevolent deity/spirits/the universe to guide/reassure you or do you absolutely believe that's BS and we're on our own to figure out our lives?

In my (limited) experience, I've known plenty of non-religious people who utter the phrase "it must be a sign" in the face of an occurrence that confirms or rules out something on their mind or going on in their life. I've known deeply religious people who scoff at the idea of messages (for lack of a better term) being sent over mild mannered life decisions. 

Do you think a butt-load (technical term) of social media posts/advertisements/etc is a sign from the universe to cool your jets and wait for something or someone to come to you or just the result of intensive marketing research indicating people are busier and more stressed out than ever, burning the candle at both ends and thus more receptive to investigate these peaceful, patience touting 'messages'?

Do you find these messages, be patient or let go negative people or buy triple ply toilet paper for better life satisfaction, to be eerie in terms of timeliness or annoying in their frequency? I read an article last week about a woman claiming one of the biggest social media sites is recording conversations and using the content to adjust what advertisements you see. If you're inundated with repeated ideas or suggestions, is it simply because an algorithm decided you'd be more apt to click, investigate and create web traffic ($$)?

That's both cynical and a triggering thought. Let's move to potentially less paranoid thoughts.

My newsfeed overflows with astrological sign memes by people who are nothing like they believe their signs claim they are. At least once or twice a week I scroll past a numerology article asking if I see 11:11 all the time. (I don't, FYI. I do see repeating numbers from time to time, just not anything anyone ever writes articles about, apparently.) Everybody and their uncle share inspirational posts (moi included) the tickle their fancy, speak to friends or family in a difficult situation, or to preach a viewpoint.

So A. I have a lot of people on my newsfeed who are looking for answers/guidance B. I follow groups/pages that post random stuff (full disclosure, most of my newsfeed is flooded with puppy stuff) & C. does it mean a darn thing?

Coincidence or sign? Intervention or algorithm? Pants or plotter? (Er... NaNoWriMo flashback. Kinda fits.)

Since I'm the one posing the question, where do I fit? I don't know, agnostic maybe? My father taught me to question things. But at the same time, this practical man of science also uses the phrase "it must be a sign". Not necessarily in conjunction with seeing something on social media. Let's not beat the example into a pulp, hmm? I'm openly skeptical, open to the idea that anything is possible but suspicious as a general rule.

So where do you fall on this? Do you believe in/look for/see signs in your life or do you take things as they come, your life being the direct result of free will alone. By all means, comment below and give me some more food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...