Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Italy - AtoZChallenge

Italy.

That is a dream destination that goes back to the beginning.

I'm not talking about Rome (which is good, because I've already listed other places that pre-date the Roman Empire and... er... it really shouldn't be a surprise at this point that my list has so many history-related places should it?). I'm talking about my beginning.

I identified as Italian long before I understood genetics and DNA pie charts. Long before I began charting my family tree and putting in the research time to pinpoint exactly where (at least some) of my people come from. My last name was Italian. Oh so intensely Italian. Mispronounce-ably Italian to all but, well, Italians. Of course I new we were other things (My father's mother insisted there was Native American somewhere, but as with most of what she said, this was full of shit, too.) but I had a daily reminder. Plus I thought being Italian was cool.

When I finally factor in the Roman Empire, the historic sites, the food... how could I not want to go?


No comments:

Post a Comment

To the End

When I began this blog 5 years ago, it ended up being a catch-all for whatever slogged through my brain, mostly writing and the difficu...